When reading through the Proverbs, there is one thing that
is clear throughout the book: It is written as a father, teaching either his
son or his children. This is something that I had overlooked for years, but
recently I started reading the Proverbs and it started jumping out to me. Many
of the Proverbs are addressed to a son, or children. Since I am reading through
a chapter each day, in this first week of November I have seen six of the first
seven chapters begin with the address “My son” (1—3 and 5—7). Additionally the
remaining chapter is addressed to “my children” (4:1). Many of the other
chapters throughout has some sort of address of a father to a child.
Chapter four gives some insight into this. The sage (who
many believe to be Solomon) tells his children that the teachings that he is
passing down were given to him by his father. He also mentions his mother’s
guidance in verse three, but he makes it
clear that his father instructed him. The World
Biblical Commentary suggests that this verse implies that the mother taught
him the basics in early life, but there came a time when his father stepped in
and taught him wisdom.
This shows that the responsibility of teaching the real
things about life—learning wisdom, which is to love, fear, and follow God and
practical living—falls on the father of the child. This means I have quite a
responsibility on my shoulders. This is a theme that is getting much attention
lately. With the release of movies like Courageous
and countless books that stress the importance of parents, and particularly
fathers, there is a focus on being a father who teaches and loves his children.
At first, this doesn’t seem too bad. I love being a father.
I love my kids, and I love spending time with them. But teaching them how to be
God-fearing men and women may prove to be a harder task. This involves more of
an investment. Parenting isn’t just about enjoying playing with my kids. It is
a large part about that, but there must be more to it than that. So that leaves
two big tasks on my to-do list: 1.) Spending fun leisurely time with my family
where we have fun and make memories, and 2.) Spending time investing and teaching
my children through teaching and by setting a good example of how to live.

No comments:
Post a Comment